So you are thinking about getting liposuction and you are confused? That is not surprising, given the overwhelming amount of… Read More
Who is a Good Candidate for Liposuction?
- Patients desiring a younger-looking, more contoured body shape.
- Those who want clothing to fit better, to wear smaller garments, or to look better in swimsuits.
- Patients with stubborn areas of fat in the face, neck, abdomen, hips, flanks, back, or legs that persist despite diet and exercise.
- Local anesthesia and light general anesthesia are combined to provide a virtually pain-free procedure, as well as less pain post-operatively and minimal bruising.
- Liposuction can take anywhere from two to six hours to complete, depending on the extent of the procedure and how many areas need treatment.
- Small, quarter-inch incisions are made in a natural crease near the target area or under garment lines to be less noticeable.
- Fat is removed via suction or ultrasonic disruption – techniques that do not damage skin, muscles, or nerves.
- Drains are not necessary for healing.
- You will be provided with a compression garment to wear sporadically over the next four to six weeks. Pads will be applied over the incision sites for three days post-operative.
- Liposuction can be combined with additional plastic surgery procedures, like breast augmentation and liposuction.
The Recovery After Liposuction
- You may go home several hours after your procedure.
- Showering is allowed the following day.
- Patients typically experience minimal pain, most of which is gone by the next day.
- Mild to moderate swelling may occur but should rapidly fade over the first three weeks.
- You can expect little to no bruising.
- A groggy feeling may persist for the first week.
- Daily activities can be resumed within the first week, and more strenuous activities can be resumed by the three week period.
- Most patients need one to seven days off work.
The Result From Liposuction
- Patients feel more confident and comfortable in their own skin.
- Your shape is more balanced and proportionate to the rest of your body.
- Natural-looking appearance within the first week of treatment, and this should continue to improve over the course of three to six months.
- Any weight gained following liposuction will typically be small in the areas that were treated.
- If you maintain your weight, you can continue to see your favorable results for your entire life.