Who is a Good Candidate for a Thigh Lift?
- Patients who desire a more youthful appearance of the legs and especially the inner thighs where there is excess hanging and folded skin. This may be associated with some excess fat. This is often associated with losing weight.
- Patients who have wrinkles, folds, cellulite and excess fat, especially in the inner thighs, but anterior and outer thighs and knees may also be affected.
- Anesthesia is general and the procedure takes about two hours.
- The incision is very inconspicuous and is located in the groin beneath the bikini line. It has a tendency to heal slightly wide and dark but this gets better over time.
- The procedure involves liposuction of any excess fat in the thighs and legs, then removing a crescent of skin high up in the groin, loosening the tissues below this and pulling them up and sewing the edges together. Deep stitches are secured to the ligaments and bone so there is less of a tendency for the skin to fall down. Then length of the incision depends on the amount of excess skin. It is not unusual to remove 5-10 inches in length!
- Drains are used for two days. These are soft and comfortable and removed without pain.
- Dressings and a light compression garment are used for several days.
- This can be combined with other plastic surgical procedures.
The Recovery After a Thigh Lift
- You can go home after several hours but it is usually more comfortable to stay overnight.
- You can shower on the second or third day after surgery when the drains are out.
- There is only minimal pain that is mostly gone by the second or third day and easily controlled by medications.
- Swelling is mild to moderate and peaks at two to three days then disappears rapidly over the next three weeks.
- Minimal or no bruising is the usual.
- Some grogginess is present which persists for about a week.
- You can resume many activities within the first week, and most by at least three weeks.
- The stitches are removed at ten days.
- Expect to be off of work for a full week, but you will be able to be up and around.
The Result After a Thigh Lift
- Beautiful, tightened, lifted and flattened contour to the inner thighs.
- More confident and comfortable in clothing, especially sports wear and jeans.
- Lasts the rest of your life and always looks better than if you didn’t do it. If there is continued sagging or weight loss, then a second touch up procedure can help.
- Natural and presentable appearance in the first week that just gets better over the next three to six months.
Schedule Your Consultation
Sam M Sukkar, MD will be happy to meet with you and discuss your goals. During your consultation, Dr. Sukkar will address any questions or concerns you may have. Contact us today to schedule your appointment.