Breast Reduction (Reduction Mammoplasty)
Who is a Good Candate for Breast Reduction?
- Enlarged, heavy, sagging breasts often associated with breast pain, shoulder pain, back pain, nipple numbness, and shoulder grooves from heavy bra straps.
- Nipples are usually below the breast crease.
- Most of the breast volume is in the sagging lower portion of the breast.
- Large nipples and areolae.
- Desire for a more youthful appearance of the breasts.
- Desire for more comfortable, less painful breasts and better fit into clothing.
- General anesthesia can be used and it takes about four hours.
- Incisions depend on the size and contour of the breast and are slightly conspicuous. They can often be hidden around the areolae and in the lower breast crease. They tend to heal slightly widened.
- A careful exam of the breast tissue is undertaken to make sure no abnormalities are present.
- Excess skin and breast gland is removed and tucked and lifted to a higher position on the chest wall.
- The nipples and areolae are elevated to a higher position and sometimes reduced in diameter.
- The only dressing is a surgical bra.
- Drains are used for the first two days, and these are removed painlessly in the office.
- This can be combined with other surgeries.
The Recovery After Breast Reduction
- You can go home after several hours or stay overnight.
- You can shower on the second day after surgery.
- Mild pain for the first two days that is mostly gone by the third day and easily controlled by medications.
- You will feel very groggy for the first two days and weak for about ten days.
- Swelling is mild to moderate for the first week after which it rapidly disappears.
- Usually only very mild or no bruising.
- Breasts are square shaped for the first three weeks then settle into a very normal rounded position.
- Resume many activities within the first week, and most by at least three weeks.
- No stitches to remove, they are all dissolvable.
- Off of work for five to seven days.
The Result From Breast Reduction
- Elevated, full, with beautiful size and shape to the breasts.
- Very natural result that gets better with time. Able to breast feed later, under most circumstances.
- Softness and natural bounce that persists. Normal sensation to the nipples and skin.
- Much better proportion and fit into clothing.
- Ability to exercise and engage in strenuous activities much more comfortably.
- Natural and presentable appearance right away that gets better over the next three to six months
Featured Breast Reduction Photos
Schedule Your Consultation Today
Sam M Sukkar, MD will be happy to meet with you and discuss your goals for breast reduction. During your consultation, Dr. Sukkar will help you decide the size that will be best for your needs, and address any questions or concerns you may have. Contact us today to schedule your appointment.