What is BOTOX® Cosmetic?
It is a natural, purified protein which in very low doses relaxes the overactive muscles that cause frown lines to form. BOTOX® Cosmetic is the brand name for botulinum toxin type A, nature’s most potent blocker of nerve impulses. BOTOX® Cosmetic is costly because it is difficult to manufacture and because there is no generic substitute. BOTOX® Cosmetic is a registered trademark of the Allergan Corporation.
How does BOTOX® Cosmetic work?
BOTOX® Cosmetic partially blocks the nerve to the tiny facial muscles that are related to expression lines. This causes the muscles that are related to expression to relax. After the solution takes effect, the overlying skin will be smooth and unwrinkled.
Is BOTOX® Cosmetic safe?
Yes. BOTOX® Cosmetic, which has been used safely to treat a variety of conditions for more than ten years, is now FDA-approved as BOTOX® Cosmetic for the temporary treatment of frown lines in people aged 18 to 65.
What areas can be treated?
BOTOX® Cosmetic injections are primarily used in the upper third of the face. Forehead lines, frown lines between the eyebrows, and lines around the eyes (”crow’s feet”) respond favorably to BOTOX® Cosmetic. Frown lines around the mouth, chin creases and neck bands may also be improved with a BOTOX® Cosmetic injection, but response here varies among individuals.
What is a BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment like?
This is a simple and safe procedure. Dr. Sukkar uses a tiny needle to cause minimal sensation and discomfort. The small needle also allows for greater precision in delivery of BOTOX® Cosmetic to the specified facial area. Most patients remark that there is minimal pain, comparing the sensation to a bug bite. You can resume normal activities immediately. BOTOX® Cosmetic generally takes 3 – 7 days to take full effect.
How long does it last?
About 3- 4 months, after which the lines gradually revert to their pre-treatment appearance if no further injections are given.
Will it radically change my appearance?
No. You should expect a dramatic improvement in the appearance of your frown lines. Overall, you’ll look more relaxed and refreshed but not like “you’ve had work done.”
Will it make me lose expression?
No. The only expression you will lose is the unintentional frown caused by the overactive muscles between your brows.
Are there any side effects?
Temporary bruising of the injection site is the most common side effect. In some cases, BOTOX® Cosmetic can migrate to the wrong muscle causing drooping of the eyelid or unevenness of the brows. With skilled technique and knowledge of the face and underlying muscles the chances of this are reduced to about 1%. Because the effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic are completely reversible, any side effects are temporary.
Botox® (Dynamic wrinkle line remover)
Our Patient Photos
Sign Up for Brilliant Distinctions Benefits for Botox Cosmetic
As a Brilliant Distinctions® member, you’ll receive a personalized monthly eNewsletter full of all the information you need, including special offers, ideas, and articles we think you will like.
Who is a Good Candidate for Botox®?
- Anyone that desires a smoother appearance where shallow wrinkle lines exist such as in between the eyebrows, at the crows feet, and across the forehead.
- BOTOX® is especially useful in wrinkles that are the result of muscle activity such as frowning, squinting, and constantly raising the forehead.
- BOTOX® has been shown to be very helpful in reducing or eliminating migraine headaches in affected individuals.
- Patients who have had Botox® and want a permanent result, our surgeons can offer the procedures that are minimally invasive and remove the frown muscle activity.
- A tiny needle is used to inject a tiny amount of the medication into the muscles responsible for the wrinkles.
- Anesthesia is not generally used or needed. But a topical can be applied if you wish.
- The procedure takes about 20 minutes.
- You see your results in about 4-5 days. It lasts about 5 months.
- No dressings or garments or band-aids are needed.
- This can be combined with other plastic surgical procedures.
The Recovery After Botox®
- You can go back to work and full unrestricted activities immediately.
- You can shower and wash immediately.
- There is no pain, swelling, or bruising.
The Result From Botox®
- Beautiful and natural elimination or softening of most affected wrinkles that lasts about 3-4 months.
- A normal result that does not look artificial or unusual even when making extreme facial expressions. You will not have a “blank” or “staring” look.
- If you like the results and want a permanent improvement then the affected muscles can be removed through small incisions.